Is turkey bacon already cooked? Have you bought some turkey beacon and this question come up?
Turkey bacon is available in virtually all the grocery shops around you. You can alternate it for traditional pork bacon.
You can prepare it by chopping or mincing a combination of turkey meat and skin (light and dark parts), add seasoning and preservatives and pressing the mixture into strips.
In this guide, we will be answering questions related to turkey bacon, with regards to its nature as well as giving the process to cook turkey bacon.
Is Turkey Bacon Already Cooked?
Turkey bacon has not been cooked. However, it has been completely cured and smoked. When the bacon is cured, you can eat it, although it is healthier always to cook it before you can consume it.
Besides, turkey bacon is an improved substitute for classic bacon. However, both of them undergo the same preparation process.
Here, we will help you with the necessary information about turkey bacon. This will help you to make a better choice when going for it. You will also know whether it is safe to eat your turkey bacon without further cooking or not. This unique product is why we have taken the time to reveal the necessary information about it. You wouldn’t want to make a mistake in your food choice, would you?
Is Turkey Bacon Pre-Cooked?
What can you say about turkey bacon as a food? Although the classic turkey bacon is cured, it may not be cured enough to offer a healthy outcome. That is why it is essential to cook it before eating it.
Significantly, turkey bacon is a healthy option for pork. The reason is that it contains less fat. Moreover, most religions that forbid pork always substitute it with turkey bacon. To produce turkey bacon, you can chop and smoke your turkey meat to have tiny bacon-like strips.
Primarily all grocery shops sell cured or smoked turkey bacon. However, it is advisable to confirm the packaging to know whether it is cured or smoked. Hence, it will guide your purchasing decision.
Although regular turkey is most likely cooked and typically contains high-fat content, turkey bacon is not always that way. We can confidently say that turkey bacon does not generate high grease content. Therefore, if you want it on the oily side, you may go for the traditional turkey.
In addition, turkey bacon can be compared with lunch meat. Turkey lunch meat is cured and smoked meat sliced into lunch meat sizes. It is nearly cut the same way as turkey bacon. However, turkey bacon is cut into bacon-like strips. Although there is not much difference between turkey bacon and traditional bacon, the former is wholly cured and classically smoked before packaging and selling it.
Can You Eat Turkey Bacon without Frying It?
No law states that you must fry your turkey bacon before eating it. However, you must ensure it is cured before packaging. All the same, virtually all turkey bacon is cured before being placed on the counter for sale. But you can smoke them too. So, make it a duty to check the package to be sure of what you are buying.
As you must know, both curing and smoking are also cooking processes. Therefore, you should not bother about frying your turkey bacon if you don’t wish to. But if it does not appeal to you to eat it that way, you may choose to fry it. So, whether you eat it with or without frying it, it does not pose any health hazards.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon
There are several methods to cook your turkey bacon if you want. Most people always choose to air-fry it because of its simplicity and convenience. Again, using air fryers helps curb the presence of excess grease in your turkey bacon.
But there are other methods you can choose. They include cooking it on the stove, in the microwave or oven. Whichever way you choose is convenient. We will help you with the processes of cooking so you can make a more suitable choice.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon on the Stove
Majorly everyone prefers to cook their turkey bacon using the stove. So, if you are in this category, here is how to go about it:
Without a doubt, the stove is the most accepted method of cooking both turkey and pork bacons. So, we have identified the easiest way to go about it:
- Using medium heat, heat your skillet on a stove
- Put in around two tablespoonfuls of vegetable oil and let it heat. This step is not compulsory, but it is necessary to make the turkey bacon crispy.
- Place each turkey bacon strip into the oil and let it cook.
- Toss your bacon strips every two to three minutes until you achieve a brown and crispy outcome. The total cook time is not more than eight to 10 minutes.
- When it gets browned and crispy, transfer the strips of becon to a plate. Ensure to line the container with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve with peanut butter or any other blend.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon in the Oven
Do you choose to cook the turkey bacon in the oven?, you may follow the steps below:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Contour a baking sheet using parchment paper. In the absence of a parchment paper, a foil can do.
- In a distinct layer, place your bacon on the baking sheet. It is not bad if the edges touch one another.
- Place the pan in the oven and allow for roughly 10 minutes.
- Bring out the bacon from the oven and toss it over. After that, take it back and let it stay for extra five to 10 minutes or until crispy.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon in an Air Fryer
Would like to cook with the air fryer, you can follow our simple steps below:
- Preheat the air fryer to around 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the turkey bacon strips into two if they cannot fit into the air fryer.
- Carefully place each strip in one layer in the air fryer basket.
- Allow the content to cook for around five minutes.
- Turn the content and allow for extra five minutes
- Remove and serve.
How to Cook Turkey Bacon in the Microwave
Another method you should try out for cooking your turkey bacon is the microwave method. In this method, you need to cook a small portion at once. Here is what to do:
- Line a plate using a paper towel
- In a single layer, position four strips of the turkey in the container.
- Set the microwave on high and cook it for two minutes.
- Flip the turkey bacon and let it cook for another minute. The cooking time may differ due to the microwave type.
What is the Significance of Turkey Bacon?
Many people choose turkey bacon due to the many benefits of Turkey Bacon. Besides, it offers a more healthful alternative than any other bacon. Here are some other reasons you should go for turkey bacon:
- It has lower fat and is less oily. As a result, the calories are fewer than the usual bacon. So, if you want a better choice, you can select turkey bacon.
- People who don’t consume pork may choose turkey bacon. So, if your belief abhors pork bacon, you have a safer choice in turkey bacon.
- You can quickly cook turkey bacon. Besides, if you choose not to cook it, it is still healthy to consume it cured.
- Turkey bacon is not as crispy and greasy as the regular bacon when you cook it. So, you don’t have to worry about eating it.
Also Check out: Can You Freeze Pecan Pie? (Everything to know)
Frequently Asked Questions – Is Turkey Bacon Already Cooked
How Can You Tell When Turkey Bacon Is Fully Cooked?
If you want to know if the turkey bacon is cooked to a great level, you can check the inner temperature. However, it is not compulsory to cook the turkey bacon again. But if you must cook it, you can check how browned and crispy it is on the outside. This is the best method to know if it is thoroughly cooked.
Is Turkey Bacon Better Than Regular Bacon?
To a great extent, turkey bacon is always a healthier choice than regular bacon. But that does not mean that the regular one is not good for you. Also, turkey bacon is less oily and crispy, with fewer calories. So if you are concerned about the health implications, go for turkey bacon.
Do You Need to Refrigerate Turkey Bacon?
Yes, you can refrigerate your turkey bacon, whether cooked or not. It can stay up to five days in the refrigerator after cooking. In addition, it is also okay to freeze it.
How do I know if turkey bacon is cooked?
Well-cooked bacon is usually brown and curly at the edges. When it turns brown and shriveled at all edges, it is time to bring it down from the cooking medium.
Does turkey bacon come Raw?
Turkey bacon is usually cured, meaning it has gone through a cooking process. So, you don’t need to cook it again before eating it.
Can you get sick from raw turkey bacon?
There is nothing wrong with eating raw turkey bacon since it has been cured. However, if you are not content with that, you may opt to cook it first. It may offer a healthier option.
How long does it take to cook turkey bacon on the stove?
It takes between eight and 10 minutes to cook the turkey bacon using the stove. To do that, you will preheat two tablespoonfuls of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan. Then, place four strips of turkey bacon in the pan.
Preheat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a 12-inch frying pan on average heat until it glistens. Ensure to turn it every two to three minutes and regulate the heat if necessary. Cook until the bacon turns brown and crispy, within eight – 10 minutes.
Can you eat turkey bacon without heating it?
Yes, you can eat your bacon without cooking it. The process of curing or smoking it is another way of cooking it. So, you won’t worry about the health implications of eating it raw. But if the bacon’s texture and coldness are not appealing, you can cook it.
Conclusion – Is Turkey Bacon Already Cooked
Is Turkey Bacon Already Cooked? It is safe to say turkey bacon is already cooked. However, if you feel otherwise, you can cook it to your satisfaction. Interestingly, we have outlined the convenient ways to achieve the cooking.